Dr. Frederick Frueholz, Jr., was born in New Braunfels on December 12, 1927, into a family of physicians. Emigrating from Germany, Drs. Frederick Frueholz, Sr. and Bertha Frueholz, set up their family medical practice in the iconic home at Seguin Street where Dr. Frederick Frueholz, Jr. resides to this day. It would be an understatement to say that Dr. Fred, as he is affectionately known, has roots that run deep and wide in the landscape of New Braunfels.
Living only a couple of blocks from the Comal River, young Frederick split river time with piano and voice lessons. He attended Carl Schurz Elementary where he participated in the band. He was a Boy Scout and eventually earned his Eagle Scout with Bronze Palm. At New Braunfels High School, Dr. Fred participated in band and drama. As a junior, he helped start and organize the Unicorn Stables, a popular weekend activity center in downtown New Braunfels offering food and fun for New Braunfels high school students. He also served as the first president of the organization.
Dr. Fred graduated from New Braunfels High School in 1945 and went on to study at the University of Texas in Austin. Although architecture was — and still is – of great interest to him, he received a Bachelor of Science and an acceptance to the University of Texas Medical School in Galveston. While studying at medical school, Fred kept his architecture passion alive by designing his fraternity’s new house!
Although there was never really any doubt where the young doctor would hang his shingle, after graduating from medical school Dr. Fred began an internship at Santa Rosa Hospital in San Antonio. Dr. Fred was a member of the National Guard and taught in the Medical Corp at Fort Sam Houston. He would soon leave for a two year commitment in France where he served at the Army’s 28th General Hospital eventually returning home to New Braunfels as a captain.
The family’s growing medical practice required more examining rooms and office space., so Dr. Fred designed the new medical office that was built directly behind the family’s home. The Frueholz practice treated generations of New Braunfels families, but an injured knee forced Dr. Fred’s early retirement in 1987.
A fulltime family physician’s days are long, but Dr. Fred’s service to New Braunfels extends far beyond his medical practice and includes his involvement and commitment to First Protestant Church. Singing in the choir began in this youth and continued into adulthood. He has served on the Church Council, and on Building Committees, just to name a few. .
In addition to architecture, music has always been important to Dr. Fred. It is not surprising that he served on the board of the Mid-Texas Symphony, and organized the Symphony Chorus. He founded and served as the president of the Heritage Chorale, now known as the Community Chorale. He sang with and was a member and president of the Texas Bach Choir. He continued his education over six summers studying architecture and history at Oxford University in England.
His knowledge and love of the history of New Braunfels resulted in his establishing and organizing the Comal County Historical Commission. He served as the Commission’s first chair and continues to serve on its board. To recognize his contributions to historic preservation, the Comal County Historical Commission established and bestowed on Alton Rahe in 2014 the first Frederick J. Frueholz Jr. Historic Preservation Award. The award honors individuals for their significant dedication to historic preservation. Additionally, Dr. Fred is a member of the Sophienburg Museum and Archives and the Heritage and Conservations Societies of New Braunfels.
Dr. Fred was a member and president of the McKenna Hospital staff, as well as the Comal County Medical Association. He was a Rotarian and a Paul Harris Fellow. With several other prominent community leaders, Dr. Fred was involved in establishing the New Braunfels National Bank – now Wells Fargo – where he also served as board member.